I tackled the first new technique with my capelet called the knit-in hem. I was able to find a tutorial explaining how it is done, just so I was sure of what I was doing. The pattern didn't call for a invisible/provincial cast on, but the tutorial example does use one. Either way the method works well, but I would opt use the invisible cast one next time. It would save a lot of time picking up stitches as directed in the pattern, and give it the strength and body it needs at the collar area.
This photo shows where I have picked up the necessary stitches from the cast on row (yellow needle). The markers are on there to keep track of my stitch count. I now have three needles in which to knit the hem with. Very similar to the three-needle bind-off, just that you aren't binding off to the finish the hem in this case. Close up of picked up stitches ready to be used for the knit-in hem. I didn't feel it necessary to add the lace yarn to the picked up stitches, and only used the green yarn at this step.Completed knit-in hem, which is actually the top of the capelet and beginning of the capelet's collar. It was a little cumbersome at first but I did get the hang of it. I like how it turned out, very even and forms into the neckline very nicely.
Close-up of the right side of hem:Close up of wrong side of hem. At this point I have already knitted and placed markets to be begin the body of the capelet.
The next main portion of the pattern is basic knit and purl stitches, with a couple of different increase stitches along the way. As the main body of the capelet is formed, then I can decide exactly how I want to finish the edges and the collar.